Tom Colletti, DHSc, PA-C, DFAAPA
Importance: The purpose of this article is to provide a CME review for the treatment for migraine headaches and the disparities in treatment, while educating both primary care practitioners and the general population regarding migraine management.
Observation: The search criteria was based on providing a basic guideline for migraine treatment at the primary care level and the patient level while also highlighting how to reduce barriers to access.
Conclusion: Many barriers exist to treating migraines, including access to appropriate care, cost, time constraints and lack of appropriate education for both the patient and the provider. Understanding this disease process, identifying those barriers and laying out a way to overcome those barriers are key to provide appropriate care for patients.
- To educate the target audience regarding current migraine management options.
- Identify and discuss barriers to care.
- To discuss current side effects and precautions with specific migraine treatments.
- Improve patient care in regards to migraine management.
- Improve the understanding of migraines for the primary care provider and the patient.
Adair B. Evaluating Appropriate Migraine Treatment for Geriatric Populations. Lynchburg Journal of Medical Science. 2022; 4(4).
Available when accessing via a campus IP address or logged in with a University of Lynchburg email address.
Off-campus users can also use 'Off-campus Download' button above for access.