Addiction Medicine Family Practice
Purpose: The purpose of this article is to review opioid use disorder (OUD), medication-based treatment (MAT) options, and the effects on mortality. Also, to evaluate the obstacles to medication-based treatment for opioid use disorder patients and providers.
Method: A PubMed literature search was conducted with search terms opioid use disorder, medication-based treatment, and mortality, with search criteria set to include articles written in the last five years.
Results: There is a decrease in mortality for OUD patients treated with MAT and potential underutilization of medication-based treatment for patients with OUD.
Conclusion: There are medication-based treatment options available for patients with OUD. Using MAT for patients with OUD decreases mortality. The underutilization of MAT in patients with OUD is multifactorial. Ultimately, improving access to MAT for patients and providers and standardizing care for patients with OUD need to be developed to address the opioid epidemic in the United States.
The key points of this project are as follows:
- To educate the target audience on the prevalence and diagnosis of opioid use disorder.
- To educate the target audience on the FDA-approved medication-based treatment options for patients with opioid use disorder.
- To provide the audience with the effects on mortality of opioid use disorder patients treated with MAT.
- To give the audience an understanding of the obstacles patients and providers face in treating opioid-dependent patients with medication-based treatment and its effects on utilization.
- To highlight the importance of improving the utilization of medication-based treatment and creating a standard of care for opioid-dependent patients.
Carpenter S. Medication-Based Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder: A Look at Mortality and Utilization. Lynchburg Journal of Medical Science. 2023; 5(1).
Available when accessing via a campus IP address or logged in with a University of Lynchburg email address.
Off-campus users can also use 'Off-campus Download' button above for access.